Vol 62, No 3 (2005)
Other
Published online: 2005-12-12
Submitted: 2012-12-28
Get Citation

Treatment options for post-catheterisation femoral pseudoaneurysm closure

Tadeusz Przewłocki, Wojciech Płazak, Piotr Podolec, Ireneusz Stopa, Artur Kozanecki, Wiesława Tracz
Kardiol Pol 2005;62(3):235-239.
Vol 62, No 3 (2005)
Other
Published online: 2005-12-12
Submitted: 2012-12-28

Abstract

Background: Femoral artery pseudoaneurysm (FAP) complicates from 1% to 9% of all coronary angiography procedures and contributes to extended hospitalisation as well as patient discomfort.
Aim: To compare three main methods of FAP closure which are used nowadays.
Methods: Seventy-five subjects (38 females, 37 males, mean age 60.8±10.4 years) with post-catheterisation FAP were studied. The results of three methods of FAP closure - surgical, local compression and thrombin injection, were compared.
Results: Between September 2000 and July 2001, fourteen patients developed FAP; in 9 (64%) patients FAP was closed with repeated prolonged compression whereas the remaining 5 (36%) patients required surgical closure of compression-resistant FAP. We observed that FAPs with longer neck (>10 mm) and primary signs of partial spontaneous coagulation were more prone to self-closure as compared to FAPs with short neck and no signs of perimural coagulation (p=0.01). Since July 2001, we introduced ultrasound-guided thrombin injection into FAP sack. The protocol included attempt of closing FAP with probe compression and compression dressing put overnight, and, if unsuccessful, followed by a quick injection of 2 ml of thrombin solution (400-3200 U), guided by ultrasound. During this period, we identified 61 patients with FAP. Out of this group, 5 (8.2%) subjects were referred for surgery without any attempt of thrombin-injection, in 16 (26.2%) patients FAP was closed with probe compression and dressing put overnight, and in the remaining 40 (65.6%) subjects ultrasound-guided thrombin-injection was performed. Thrombin injection into FAP sack caused closure of its cavity and neck in all patients, however, five patients required additional thrombin injection during the same session, and 2 (5.0%) patients - during the next procedure. No peri-procedural complications were observed. The duration of hospital stay shortened from a mean of 26.6±14.5 days in surgically treated patients to 7.9±6.7 in those in whom FAPs were closed with compression, and to 4.6±2.6 days in those treated with thrombin (p

Abstract

Background: Femoral artery pseudoaneurysm (FAP) complicates from 1% to 9% of all coronary angiography procedures and contributes to extended hospitalisation as well as patient discomfort.
Aim: To compare three main methods of FAP closure which are used nowadays.
Methods: Seventy-five subjects (38 females, 37 males, mean age 60.8±10.4 years) with post-catheterisation FAP were studied. The results of three methods of FAP closure - surgical, local compression and thrombin injection, were compared.
Results: Between September 2000 and July 2001, fourteen patients developed FAP; in 9 (64%) patients FAP was closed with repeated prolonged compression whereas the remaining 5 (36%) patients required surgical closure of compression-resistant FAP. We observed that FAPs with longer neck (>10 mm) and primary signs of partial spontaneous coagulation were more prone to self-closure as compared to FAPs with short neck and no signs of perimural coagulation (p=0.01). Since July 2001, we introduced ultrasound-guided thrombin injection into FAP sack. The protocol included attempt of closing FAP with probe compression and compression dressing put overnight, and, if unsuccessful, followed by a quick injection of 2 ml of thrombin solution (400-3200 U), guided by ultrasound. During this period, we identified 61 patients with FAP. Out of this group, 5 (8.2%) subjects were referred for surgery without any attempt of thrombin-injection, in 16 (26.2%) patients FAP was closed with probe compression and dressing put overnight, and in the remaining 40 (65.6%) subjects ultrasound-guided thrombin-injection was performed. Thrombin injection into FAP sack caused closure of its cavity and neck in all patients, however, five patients required additional thrombin injection during the same session, and 2 (5.0%) patients - during the next procedure. No peri-procedural complications were observed. The duration of hospital stay shortened from a mean of 26.6±14.5 days in surgically treated patients to 7.9±6.7 in those in whom FAPs were closed with compression, and to 4.6±2.6 days in those treated with thrombin (p
Get Citation

Keywords

key words: post-catheterisation femoral pseudoaneurysm - closure - thrombin - compression

About this article
Title

Treatment options for post-catheterisation femoral pseudoaneurysm closure

Journal

Kardiologia Polska (Polish Heart Journal)

Issue

Vol 62, No 3 (2005)

Pages

235-239

Published online

2005-12-12

Bibliographic record

Kardiol Pol 2005;62(3):235-239.

Keywords

key words: post-catheterisation femoral pseudoaneurysm - closure - thrombin - compression

Authors

Tadeusz Przewłocki
Wojciech Płazak
Piotr Podolec
Ireneusz Stopa
Artur Kozanecki
Wiesława Tracz

Important: This website uses cookies. More >>

The cookies allow us to identify your computer and find out details about your last visit. They remembering whether you've visited the site before, so that you remain logged in - or to help us work out how many new website visitors we get each month. Most internet browsers accept cookies automatically, but you can change the settings of your browser to erase cookies or prevent automatic acceptance if you prefer.

By "Via Medica sp. z o.o." sp.k., Świętokrzyska 73 street, 80–180 Gdańsk, Poland

tel.:+48 58 320 94 94, faks:+48 58 320 94 60, e-mail: viamedica@viamedica.pl