open access

Vol 66, No 1 (2008)
Other
Published online: 2008-02-04
Submitted: 2012-12-28
Get Citation


Orginal article
Usefulness of ambulatory blood pressure monitoring in diagnosis of arterial hypertension in children and adolescents

Tomasz Floriańczyk, Bożena Werner
Kardiol Pol 2008;66(1):12-17.

open access

Vol 66, No 1 (2008)
Other
Published online: 2008-02-04
Submitted: 2012-12-28

Abstract


Background:

Arterial hypertension in children and adolescents is an important medical problem with a prevalence rising over the last ten years from 1 to 4.5%.
Aim:

To assess the usefulness of ambulatory blood pressure monitoring (ABPM) in diagnosis of arterial hypertension in children and adolescents.
Methods:

Two hundred and twelve children with elevated blood pressure (BP) and 81 healthy controls participated in this study. In all children from the study and control groups standard BP measurement and ABPM were performed.
Results:

With the use of standard BP measurement, 168 (79.2%) children were diagnosed as hypertensive and the remaining 44 (20.8%) as prehypertensive. When the ABPM was used, arterial hypertension was diagnosed in 143 (67.4%) cases and white coat hypertension in the remaining 69 (32.6%) subjects. In 7 (8.7%) control children elevated BP in ABPM was detected, and masked hypertension were diagnosed.
Conclusions:

1. Ambulatory blood pressure monitoring is a useful tool in diagnosis of arterial hypertension in children and adolescents. 2. Systolic hypertension is a major form of hypertension in childhood. 3. Ambulatory blood pressure monitoring is helpful to identify patients with white coat hypertension. 4. Further studies are necessary to establish uniform indications, standards and rules for interpretation of ABPM in children and adolescents.

Abstract


Background:

Arterial hypertension in children and adolescents is an important medical problem with a prevalence rising over the last ten years from 1 to 4.5%.
Aim:

To assess the usefulness of ambulatory blood pressure monitoring (ABPM) in diagnosis of arterial hypertension in children and adolescents.
Methods:

Two hundred and twelve children with elevated blood pressure (BP) and 81 healthy controls participated in this study. In all children from the study and control groups standard BP measurement and ABPM were performed.
Results:

With the use of standard BP measurement, 168 (79.2%) children were diagnosed as hypertensive and the remaining 44 (20.8%) as prehypertensive. When the ABPM was used, arterial hypertension was diagnosed in 143 (67.4%) cases and white coat hypertension in the remaining 69 (32.6%) subjects. In 7 (8.7%) control children elevated BP in ABPM was detected, and masked hypertension were diagnosed.
Conclusions:

1. Ambulatory blood pressure monitoring is a useful tool in diagnosis of arterial hypertension in children and adolescents. 2. Systolic hypertension is a major form of hypertension in childhood. 3. Ambulatory blood pressure monitoring is helpful to identify patients with white coat hypertension. 4. Further studies are necessary to establish uniform indications, standards and rules for interpretation of ABPM in children and adolescents.
Get Citation

Keywords

ABPM; children; adolescents; hypertension

About this article
Title


Orginal article
Usefulness of ambulatory blood pressure monitoring in diagnosis of arterial hypertension in children and adolescents

Journal

Kardiologia Polska (Polish Heart Journal)

Issue

Vol 66, No 1 (2008)

Pages

12-17

Published online

2008-02-04

Bibliographic record

Kardiol Pol 2008;66(1):12-17.

Keywords

ABPM
children
adolescents
hypertension

Authors

Tomasz Floriańczyk
Bożena Werner

Important: This website uses cookies. More >>

The cookies allow us to identify your computer and find out details about your last visit. They remembering whether you've visited the site before, so that you remain logged in - or to help us work out how many new website visitors we get each month. Most internet browsers accept cookies automatically, but you can change the settings of your browser to erase cookies or prevent automatic acceptance if you prefer.

By "Via Medica sp. z o.o." sp.k., Świętokrzyska 73 street, 80–180 Gdańsk, Poland

tel.:+48 58 320 94 94, faks:+48 58 320 94 60, e-mail: viamedica@viamedica.pl