open access

Vol 68, No 12 (2010)
Original articles
Published online: 2010-12-20
Submitted: 2012-12-28
Get Citation

Influence of treatment strategy on serum adiponectin, resistin and angiogenin concentrations in patients with stable multivessel coronary artery disease after one-year follow-up

Radosław Kręcki, Maria Krzemińska-Pakuła, Jan Zbigniew Peruga, Piotr Szcześniak, Piotr Lipiec, Daria Orszulak-Michalak, Jarosław Damian Kasprzak
Kardiol Pol 2010;68(12):1313-1320.

open access

Vol 68, No 12 (2010)
Original articles
Published online: 2010-12-20
Submitted: 2012-12-28

Abstract


Background: Adiponectin and resistin, as well as the novel angiogenetic factor angiogenin, may be associated with inflammation and atherosclerosis. However, the available data are limited regarding adipocytokines and angiogenesis factors long-term serum concentration changes in patients with coronary artery disease (CAD).
Aim: To evaluate the treatment strategy-dependent changes in serum concentrations of adiponectin, resistin and angiogenin in patients with stable multivessel CAD (MCAD) and their association with cardiovascular events.
Methods: The study group comprised 107 MCAD patients (80 males, mean age 63 ± 8 years); 55 (51%) patients were treated surgically (coronary artery bypass grafting - CABG), while the other 52 (49%) were treated medically. Adiponectin, resistin and angiogenin plasma levels were measured on admission and after one-year follow-up. Major adverse cardiac events (MACE) were defined as cardiac death, non-fatal myocardial infarction, stroke or hospitalisation for angina or heart failure over the 12 month period.
Results: During one-year follow-up, nine (8%) patients died, all from cardiovascular causes, and 34 (32%) patients experienced MACE. The CABG group revealed significant decrease in angiogenin (p < 0.0001) and adiponectin (p = 0.03) serum levels. In the medically treated group, we noted a significant reduction in the adiponectin serum concentration (p = 0.003), with no change in resistin and angiogenin serum levels.
Conclusions: In stable patients with MCAD, the choice of treatment strategy (optimal medical therapy or surgery) influences cytokines profile and modifies serum concentration of angiogenin and adiponectin during 12 months of follow-up. Assessing the dynamic concentration changes of these novel biomarkers may be useful for clinical practice.
Kardiol Pol 2010; 68, 12: 1313-1320

Abstract


Background: Adiponectin and resistin, as well as the novel angiogenetic factor angiogenin, may be associated with inflammation and atherosclerosis. However, the available data are limited regarding adipocytokines and angiogenesis factors long-term serum concentration changes in patients with coronary artery disease (CAD).
Aim: To evaluate the treatment strategy-dependent changes in serum concentrations of adiponectin, resistin and angiogenin in patients with stable multivessel CAD (MCAD) and their association with cardiovascular events.
Methods: The study group comprised 107 MCAD patients (80 males, mean age 63 ± 8 years); 55 (51%) patients were treated surgically (coronary artery bypass grafting - CABG), while the other 52 (49%) were treated medically. Adiponectin, resistin and angiogenin plasma levels were measured on admission and after one-year follow-up. Major adverse cardiac events (MACE) were defined as cardiac death, non-fatal myocardial infarction, stroke or hospitalisation for angina or heart failure over the 12 month period.
Results: During one-year follow-up, nine (8%) patients died, all from cardiovascular causes, and 34 (32%) patients experienced MACE. The CABG group revealed significant decrease in angiogenin (p < 0.0001) and adiponectin (p = 0.03) serum levels. In the medically treated group, we noted a significant reduction in the adiponectin serum concentration (p = 0.003), with no change in resistin and angiogenin serum levels.
Conclusions: In stable patients with MCAD, the choice of treatment strategy (optimal medical therapy or surgery) influences cytokines profile and modifies serum concentration of angiogenin and adiponectin during 12 months of follow-up. Assessing the dynamic concentration changes of these novel biomarkers may be useful for clinical practice.
Kardiol Pol 2010; 68, 12: 1313-1320
Get Citation

Keywords

multivessel coronary artery disease; adipocytokines; angiogenesis

About this article
Title

Influence of treatment strategy on serum adiponectin, resistin and angiogenin concentrations in patients with stable multivessel coronary artery disease after one-year follow-up

Journal

Kardiologia Polska (Polish Heart Journal)

Issue

Vol 68, No 12 (2010)

Pages

1313-1320

Published online

2010-12-20

Bibliographic record

Kardiol Pol 2010;68(12):1313-1320.

Keywords

multivessel coronary artery disease
adipocytokines
angiogenesis

Authors

Radosław Kręcki
Maria Krzemińska-Pakuła
Jan Zbigniew Peruga
Piotr Szcześniak
Piotr Lipiec
Daria Orszulak-Michalak
Jarosław Damian Kasprzak

Important: This website uses cookies. More >>

The cookies allow us to identify your computer and find out details about your last visit. They remembering whether you've visited the site before, so that you remain logged in - or to help us work out how many new website visitors we get each month. Most internet browsers accept cookies automatically, but you can change the settings of your browser to erase cookies or prevent automatic acceptance if you prefer.

By "Via Medica sp. z o.o." sp.k., Świętokrzyska 73 street, 80–180 Gdańsk, Poland

tel.:+48 58 320 94 94, faks:+48 58 320 94 60, e-mail: viamedica@viamedica.pl